Being quiet

Conversations with my 7year old  while walking in Newlands Forest after over an hour of non-stop chatter:


Me: How about we just listen to nature for a bit...

7year old: Listen to nature? 

Me: Let's see how many different sounds we can hear.

7year old: But I love talking! I don't want to miss out on any talking time and besides I have to be quiet at school and it's not a school day.


Me: You love talking and you have been talking for most of the walk. How about a bit of what I'd like now, which is some peace. Walking in the forest & listening is very special for me.

7year old: Ok, yes, let's be quiet. We won't talk. We can stop chatting. I will listen and not talk. No chatting for a bit. Just listening. Yes, no talking for a bit. Mom, I'm busy listening to trees blowing and the river and our footsteps and a bird and some insects and...

Me: Ssssh

7year old: That was me being quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment