everyday attitudes


Skype chat between Beth in office, and her colleague Melanie who is working from home

Melanie:  I’m so tired after another raucous party next door – I think my neighbours are away for the night, and their kids had their music blaring ‘til 2 in the morning. We eventually called the police to come and quiet them down.
Beth: Ah, that’s not much fun. Did the noise wake your little one?
Melanie:  No, thankfully she slept right through. But I’m exhausted. I won’t be coming into the office today – going to work from home rather.
Beth: Still in your pyjamas?
Melanie: Yes, of course!
Beth: The joys of having an internet connection at home
Melanie: Exactly. I just wanted to find out what’s happening with Vuyokazi: she arrived at work late on Friday, and it’s now 8:45am and I see she’s not yet online. Has she arrived at the office yet?
Beth: She’s probably running a little bit late – let’s give her a little Monday grace.
Melanie: Grace is all very well; I just don’t want her to start taking advantage. I’m going to take a shower now – will you let me know what time she comes in, please?
Beth:  Sure


Vuyokazi arrives visibly stressed, checking her watch.
Vuyokazi : Morning Beth
Beth: Hi Vuyokazi. What happened?
Vuyokazi: The train was delayed.
Beth: The train? But I thought you normally take the bus to work?
Vuyokazi: Well, over the weekend we moved. We’re now staying in Simons Town.
Beth: What? That was a quick change – I didn’t even know you were planning on moving.
Vuyokazi: Khayelitsha is just not okay anymore. On Thursday I was robbed by two young guys with a knife.
Beth: Oh no! (Gets up from desk and stands closer to Vuyo) How scary! Are you okay?
Vuyokazi: Yes, thanks God, I’m okay. There was nothing much in my bag except my bus ticket – I’d only used 4 days transport of the ticket so I’m sure they will sell that. But there was nothing else in my bag. I forgot my phone and wallet at home on Thursday.
Beth: Yho, thank goodness for that.
Vuyokazi: I just know God was looking after me. And it was also good that its school holidays so my daughter was with my sister, not with me.
Beth: Was it frightening? Did they hurt you?
Vuyokazi: They were very angry and aggressive – I don’t know why they were so angry…
Beth: Maybe they were high on Tik?
Vuyokazi: Could be. They didn’t hurt me –when I saw their knife I didn’t argue, I just gave them my bag and then they ran away. I couldn’t believe it – these skollie teenagers don’t even wait for dark  -they do it in broad daylight.
Beth:  Were there people around you?
Vuyokazi:  Yes it was busy. I was coming home from work on Thursday. But it was all so quick and they just ran off.
Beth: And you didn’t even say anything on Friday?
Vuyokazi:  Well losing my bus ticket made me late on Friday as the taxi queues were so long, so I thought I should just start working and not waste time talking.
Beth: I thought you didn’t look so happy on Friday. I’m sorry you had that horrible experience.
Vuyokazi: When I told my sister what happened she phoned some people she knows and one of her friends has a house in Simons Town that was available for rent. We just decided we don’t want to take any more chances – the crime is just increasing and increasing in Khayelitsha. So we moved to Simons Town over the weekend.
Beth: So fast!
Vuyokazi: Yes, we spent the whole weekend packing and cleaning, and moved our stuff yesterday afternoon.
Beth: You must be exhausted.
Vuyokazi: It’s okay- at least we know it’s safer there.
Beth: So now you catch the train from Simons Town to work everyday.
Vuyokazi: Yes, I need to wake my daughter up early early, and we catch the train together at 6:15am.
Beth: Yho! I’m not even awake at that time!
Vuyokazi: Yes, it’s early. My daughter slept a bit on the train. We would have been on time, but then the train just stopped at Newlands for about 20 minutes – they didn’t tell us why.
Beth: Well I think it’s amazing you’re here at all after the hectic few days you’ve had.
Vuyokazi: I think Melanie will be cross that I’m late.
Beth: Don’t worry, I’ll explain to her.
Vuyokazi: Thanks


Back on skype with Melanie, who is sitting in her bathrobe, holding a cup of coffee.
Beth: Hi Mel, Vuyokazi has arrived.
Melanie: okay, and what pathetic excuse for being late does she have this time?



No comments:

Post a Comment