Lentil on beatitudes

I read my Lentil that bit where Jesus said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me."

And asked Lentil what he thought Jesus was saying, and he replied:
Jesus wants us to be his friend, and also, "sharing is caring"  (Go Barney!)

From the mouths of babes...

I loved Lentil's focus on being unselfish rather than getting caught up in the hard debate of dying daily to our flesh, and surrendering all. Yes, that is necessary, but how we think about that can tie one up in guilt ropes. Do we ever really manage that?

However, focusing on being less selfish - that I can apply my heart and mind to. Kindness I can do. Its a way of living, of being, of engaging with others. Kindness is the ultimate religion.
I found beautiful synchronicity with the above passage and this morning's meditation on kindness, which links to my beloved beatitudes...

Matthew 5 v 7
Blessed are the merciful,  for they will be shown mercy.

So often kindness is what was requested by weary travelers throughout the long hard journey of the Old Testament. God's people were commended for kindness, and kindness as a quality was esteemed. Women who were known for kindness were sought out as suitable wives. That's something for me to chew on.

May it be that when I say to a young woman, “Please let down your jar that I may have a drink,” and she says, “Drink, and I’ll water your camels too”– let her be the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master.’ (Genesis 24 v 14)

Kindness is going the extra mile.
  Giving more than just what is necessary.
If kindness can be my trademark, I'm sure people will experience God's love through me.

NOTE TO SELF: practise random acts of kindness

No comments:

Post a Comment